Before and After School Care Program
About the Program
Southern District YMCA facilitates YMCA School Age Child Care (SACC) programs in 15 area elementary schools and in the Tuck Learning Campus in Exeter.
Through these Y programs, youth receive quality, safe, and nurturing before and after school care that develops the whole child—mind, body and spirit—leading to success in school, society, work and personal achievement.
This is possible because trained and educated YMCA staff model positive behavior in all social interactions to reinforce the core values of the YMCA: caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
What to Expect
New Enrollment: Children may start attending the program three business days after registration is submitted. This allows the YMCA to maintain the proper staff-to-child ratio and provide the site staff with all required paperwork for state child care licensing.
Students who are dropped off before school receive breakfast and activities that help them prepare for a day at school. When school is dismissed, students remain safely in their schools, or take the bus to Tuck Learning Campus (Exeter only), where they:
- Receive a daily snack that includes fresh fruit and vegetables*
- Get supervised homework time
- Participate in club-based programming in the core content areas of art, literacy, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), and health and wellness
- Participate in non-competitive physical activity indoors and outdoors*
- Enjoy free-choice time for arts, crafts and games
YMCA School Age Child Care programs are state-licensed and all staff are trained in first aid and CPR. Programs strive to maintain a staff to youth ratio of 1:10.
* We are committed to the YMCA Health Promotion Standards by eliminating sugar-sweetened beverages and trans fats; providing fruits, vegetables, and water; and ensuring at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day.